On Sunday, my husband wanted me to make pasta and meatballs. It is a staple in our house, but I just made it the week before. I talked him into lasagna, but I wanted to make something new to go with it. (See my mom blog recipe where I make lasagna 15 minutes at a time!) Salad and bread were my options and being the carb lover that I am, I went with bread.
I looked for an easy bread recipe and found many for garlic monkey bread. My recipe is a combination of the couple I found. Knowing how much my kids love the cinnamon monkey bread, I knew this would be a hit. I asked my 14-year-old daughter to help me. When I first told her what we were making, her reaction was “Gross! Garlic and cinnamon bread? That will taste awful.” Yes it would. I can assure you that this recipe uses no cinnamon.
2 cans of refrigerated biscuits
½ stick of butter
3 cloves of garlic minced or 1 ½ teaspoons of jarred garlic
2 tablespoons parsley flakes
¼ cup of grated Parmesan cheese
▪ Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray the inside of a 12 cup muffin tin with non-stick spray.
▪ Cut biscuits in four pieces and place in mixing bowl. If younger kids are helping you, give them kitchen shears.
▪ Melt butter in small sauce pan and add garlic, parsley and Parmesan cheese. Mix together and pour over the biscuit pieces. Gently toss with spoon to evenly coat biscuits.
▪ Bake at 350 degrees for 12-14 minutes until golden brown.
Everyone loved them and they went great with the lasagna!
1 – 1 1/2 lbs. of ground beef, chicken or turkey
12 lasagna noodles
1 1/2 lbs. ricotta cheese
2 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese
2 small cans of tomato paste
1 large (28oz.) can of diced tomatoes
4 cups of water
6 cloves of garlic (or to taste)
2 tablespoons of dried oregano
▪ Brown meat and drain off excess fat
▪ While meat is cooking, place tomato paste, diced tomatoes, oregano, garlic and water in a large sauce pot. Mix and bring to a boil.
▪ Add drained meat to tomato mixture and simmer on low for an hour.
▪ While sauce is cooking, boil water in a large pot and add lasagna noodles.
▪ When noodles are fully cooked, drain off water.
▪ Place a small amount of sauce on the bottom of a 9 x 13 pan. Place three noodles in bottom over the sauce.
▪ Using a slotted spoon, scoop meat from sauce and layer over noodles.
▪ Layer with more noodles and spread out the ricotta cheese on top of noodles. Relayer with more noodles.
▪ Add a last layer of meat and sauce. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
Cover with foil and bake for 1 1/4 hour at 350 degrees. Enjoy!