I love potatoes! I can easily eat them everyday. When I was a kid, we almost never had potatoes – strange for an Irish family. The reason was because my grandmother cooked potatoes almost every night for dinner (not strange for an Irish family) and my dad grew tired of them. Now that I am the adult, we have potatoes a lot, although not every night. I do get tired of the same recipe so I am constantly looking for another way to prepare potatoes. After searching Pinterest, I found a couple recipes that I liked and I took a little from each one to come up with this.
Lesson learned from this recipe as well: Check all ingredients in the house before you dive into making a recipe. I did not have any onions and had to borrow from my neighbors. Thank you Holly and Jenn!
5 medium potatoes (There are five of us in the family)
2 medium onions
½ cup chicken broth
½ cup milk
4 minced garlic cloves or 2 tsp of jarred garlic
1 tbsp dried parsley
½ stick of butter cut into pats
Black Pepper to taste
Paprika for color
▪ Preheat oven to 375 degrees
▪ Cut potatoes and onions into circles.
▪ Spray bottom of 9 x 13 baking dish with non-stick spray
▪ Layer potatoes on bottom, touching but not overlapping
▪ Layer onions on top of potatoes. I did not have enough onions so I layered extra potato slices around the onions.
▪ Add a generous (or to taste) amount of black pepper on top of onion layer
▪ Repeat potato and onion layer
▪ In a small sauce pan, warm chicken broth, milk, parsley and garlic, but do not boil
▪ Pour over potatoes and onions and move dish around to evenly distribute liquid. It doesn’t look like a lot of liquid at first, but by covering it with foil, nothing will evaporate.
▪ Sprinkle paprika on potatoes and onions to give it a little color.
▪ Add pats of butter evenly over top of potatoes
▪ Cover with foil and place in oven for 40 minutes.